The Foreign Minister of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, Jorge Arreaza, released on Sunday a set of evidence collected in a report from the Venezuelan mission portal Misión Verdad, regarding espionage and cyber attacks by the United States towards the Latin American country.
In his Twitter account @jaarreaza, the Venezuelan diplomat stressed that some of them have been accepted and confessed by spokesmen of the White House.
Surgen elementos probatorios de acciones estadounidenses de espionaje y ciberataques contra Venezuela. Algunas de ellas aceptadas y confesas. Interesante reporte de @Mision_Verdad:https://t.co/1J4iSa1whg
— Jorge Arreaza M (@jaarreaza) August 11, 2019
Misión Verdad’s journalistic work cites the discovery of the Slovakian security company ESET of an advanced espionage attack against the Bolivarian National Armed Forces (Fanb) by hackers, with the purpose of “mapping” the location of their more sensitive military units.
These types of attacks, according to the research portal, have been successful in Ecuador, Colombia and Nicaragua, but ESET states that three quarters of infected computers are in Venezuela. The majority of them belong to military systems, but also the police and the Foreign Ministry systems were attacked.
“In this case, we are pretty sure that the majority of the victims of these hackers belong to the Venezuelan army, based on the documents they have captured”, says Alexis Dorais-Joncas, of the Slovak company.
The researchers suspect that the hacker group is Spanish-speaking and the frequency of their attacks has increased in recent years.
This 2019, the Venezuelan government has denounced cyberattacks against the National Electric System (SEN), directed from the United States.
On July 19, an American intelligence aircraft entered the Flight Information Region controlled by Venezuela, without complying with the protocols established in international treaties.
“The EP-3E ARIES II aircraft is a four-engine, low-wing, intelligence and electronic warfare aircraft, which uses the latest equipment to enter and interfere with communications systems”, said the National Armed Forces Operational Strategic Command Bolivarian (Ceofanb).
🛑ALERTA| Sistema de Defensa Aeroespacial CODAI detectó e interceptó aeronave EE.UU. EP-3E de inteligencia y exploración radio electrónica en nuestra región de información de vuelo Maiquetia, violando Tratados Aéreos Internacionales en franca provocación a la RBV.#DialogoAvanza pic.twitter.com/GFbN4He7YM
— CEOFANB (@ceofanb) July 20, 2019
The interception of the US aircraft took place on the eve of the ministerial meeting of the coordinating bureau of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), which was held in Caracas on July 20 and 21.
Three days later, on July 22, the sector Vice-president of Communication, Tourism and Culture, Jorge Rodríguez, denounced a new incursion by an EP-3E ARIES II, registered at 0952 (local time) on the same day.
On July 27, Ceofanb claimed that US spy planes improperly sailed the Flight Information Region that controls Venezuela.
The accusations of Caracas provoked the response of the head of the Southern Command of the United States, Craig Faller, who then declared that they were carrying out “totally professional surveillance flights”.
The Venezuelan Foreign Minister described the confession as “very serious and criminal” and announced a complaint to the United Nations (UN).
Tal como hemos denunciado, la Administración Trump confiesa y acepta con descaro que efectivamente viola el espacio de control aéreo de Venezuela. Gravísima y criminal confesión. No hay dudas de sus perversas intenciones. Elevaremos la denuncia a la ONU:https://t.co/TNaZGIlVpu
— Jorge Arreaza M (@jaarreaza) July 28, 2019
The Government of Venezuela has registered at least 78 violations of Venezuelan airspace by US aircraft so far this year, and has rejected these actions considered as a provocation.